Thursday, July 12, 2012

When it rains, it pours


My poor guy is SICK. At his 12 month check up, which was on June 27, the pediatrician noted that he had an ear infection. We were put on Augmentin and sent on our way. The antibiotic gave him horrible diarrhea so on June 29, I called and asked for a new antibiotic. He was put on a ten day course of Cefdinir. I didn't want him to have diarrhea every 15 minutes for his birthday party. On the 4th of July he spiked another fever of 102.4 and for the next five days he had a fever on and off. He then developed a cough that initially sounded like croup but quickly changed into a really gunky gross cough with boogers. The entire time this was going on he was still on the antibiotic for his ear. I thought this was strange but honestly I didn't think too much of it (mistake number one). I finally took him back to the doctor on Tuesday after I got another phone call that he spiked a fever at daycare and needed to be picked up. I just assumed (mistake number two) that the antibiotic never cleared up his ear infection. Turns out, his ears are both fine. So is his throat. Nor were there sores in his mouth, so no hand, foot and mouth. Or croup. While the doctor was listening to his lungs, she noticed that he was wheezing so he was given a breathing treatment. She put him on an inhaler and another antibiotic for pneumonia. She said to call back if his breathing got worse.

I filled his prescriptions and picked Aidan up from school. By the time I got home his fever was 102.4 again. My mom came to watch him so I could take Aidan to his first t-ball game. When I got home he was sleeping but woke up around 8. His fever was then 103.9 and he was breathing so fast. I called my fried Sara to ask her what she thought and if breathing like that was "normal"...she could hear him through the phone and said to call our pediatrician right away. I hung up and called the doctor. She asked me to check and see if he was retracting (when the muscles between the ribs move inward because of pressure in the chest)
 and he was. She told me to take him to the ER immediately and to drive with the windows open. By the time I got there, his breathing had improved greatly but we still spent the next four hours in the ER being observed. We were eventually sent home. The doctor said we were already doing everything we could. He was already on an antibiotic, already had an inhaler, was already taking ibuprofen and Tylenol to lower his fevers. We got home around 1:30. 

Gray stayed home with my sister yesterday so that I could go to work since I've missed several days while all of this was going on. She said he definitely seemed better. Lower fevers and less coughing. When I got home from work, I put him in the tub and noticed he had a sore on his tongue. Once he was dried off, I looked in his mouth with a flash light and saw at least six sores on his tongue and a couple more on the roof of his mouth. Turns out, on top of everything else, he now has hand, foot and mouth. Or maybe he had hand, foot and mouth this entire time but the sores just showed up yesterday. I don't know. 


I have no words. I just feel so bad for him. So. so bad. He is completely miserable. Not sleeping, uncomfortable and just sad. I'm being selfish because I just want my silly, happy baby back. I feel helpless as the situation just seems to be getting worse and worse. This is the 16th day of sickness. I don't know how much more we can handle.

Not to mention we are supposed to be leaving for vacation tomorrow. I'm trying to look at the bright side. At least it all came to head this week and not while we were Up North in the middle of nowhere. At least we have family and friends who have been so supportive and helpful with volunteering to stay home with him so Tommy and I can still work. I feel terrible because I can't be the one home with him all the time. It just breaks my mama heart. I'm also walking around like a zombie. Barely functioning. Its basically a lose lose situation.  I know kids get sick. Totally a part of life and I get it. I am just praying that we have turned a corner and that nothing more happens in the next few days so that we can eventually leave for our vacation. Send prayers our way please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs