Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Wait. You can grill pizza?

A couple of months ago Tommy's cousin Molly wrote a blog post about how to grill pizza. Being the novice that I am in the kitchen, I'd never heard of grilling pizza but I knew it was something that I would eventually want to try. Then I started seeing recipes for grilled pizza everywhere. In my Better Homes and Gardens magazine. On blogs. On the Food Network. Everywhere. We finally decided to give in and try it. 

We had a play date scheduled with one of Aidan's friends this past Sunday and as we were leaving I mentioned that we had to go to the store to pick up yeast and a few other ingredients to make homemade pizza. It was suggested that instead of making the dough from scratch I should just go to a local specialty store instead and grab already made dough that just needed to be rolled out. (Friends, check out Sendiks! For $1.79 you get a HUGE ball of dough) This is definitely more my style anyway. I was freaking out about adding dry active yeast to flour to try to make a pizza dough.


Once we were home, we prepped all of our ingredients. Tomato sauce. Shredded mozzarella. Green peppers. Basil. Fresh mozzarella. Pepperoni. Mushrooms. Crushed red pepper.


Once the ingredients were prepped, I rolled the dough out on a floured surface. Don't worry about making it a perfect circle. There is no need for perfection here! We also poured two tablespoons of olive oil and minced two cloves of garlic into a little ramekin and brushed some on the grill and then on the dough. Don't you love the pretty grill marks?


Once the dough was grilled on both sides, we brought it into the house to add the ingredients. We cut Aidan off his own little section so he could choose his own ingredients.


Cheese and pepperoni were his choice.


I went with fresh mozz, basil, green pepper, pepperoni, mushrooms and crushed red pepper.


Once all of the ingredients were added, we put the pizzas back on the grill. The fresh mozzarella was super melty and gooey. The crust had the perfect crunch to it from the grill. We loved how our pizza turned out. What I loved most about making this was that it was something fun for all of us to do as a family and we could cater it to our tastes.


Give grilled pizza a try. I promise you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs