Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lemon Raspberry Coffeecake

I was in the mood to bake this weekend...so I set out to make a lemon raspberry coffeecake. I spotted the recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens magazine (yes, I am secretly an old woman. I love BHG)


Peep the ingredients..minus the beer. Apparently, I like drinking beer and baking. It was Saturday night and the kiddos were sleeping. I'm allowed ;)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1 egg
1 cup fresh raspberries
powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease bottom of 9x1 1/2 inch round cake pan


In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.


In mixer, beat 1 cup of sugar and butter on medium to high until combined. Add one egg and vanilla. Beat on low to medium for one minute.


Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to sugar mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Set aside.

For cheesecake filling, in small mixing bowl beat cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Add lemon peel and egg. Beat until just combined.


Spoon half the cake butter into prepared pan, spreading to the edges. Pour cream cheese mixture on cake batter, spreading to the edges.


Dollop remaining batter onto cream cheese layer, carefully spreading to the edges of the plan. (dollop. ha. Those look bigger than dollops to me...but it worked). I must say though, it was really hard to add the dollops on top of the cream cheese layer. The two layers definitely combined. Perhaps there is a way to do it so that the cake batter doesn't combine with the cream cheese layer but I'm not aware of how to do it.


Ready for the oven!


Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed. Gently press raspberries into cake. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cake from pan; remove pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. 


Finished product! I did not sprinkle any powdered sugar on ours. I thought it was unnecessary. I also let the cake get a bit browner than I would have preferred but it still tasted lovely. Serve with coffee. Muy delicioso!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs