Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Field of Honor

Our local baseball field, Miller Park, recently hosted an event called Field of Honor: a salute to the greatest generation. The event was for the general public but the purpose of it was to honor our veterans, specifically World War II veterans. My Grandpa is a WWII veteran so we thought it would be nice to enjoy the event together as a family. The parking lot opened three hours before the event so people could come and tailgate. There were bands, statues, military vehicles and other items on display for people to look at back from that time period. The event itself consisted of showing a documentary about the Stars and Stripes Honor Flights which provides free trips to Washington DC for WWII veterans.  It also followed four WWII veterans and told their stories. My Grandpa went on the trip last November. I wish I had the words to thoroughly describe the evening but for once I am at a loss for words. The only word I continue to come to when trying to describe the evening is emotional. It was really amazing. Here is a peak into our experience. 

My Dad found a picture of my Grandpa in Washington DC during his trip last November.We had the picture blown up and framed and then we each wrote him a little note to tell him how proud we are of him. He loved it.
Aidan and I took a little tour in one of the military vehicles while we were waiting in line to get into the stadium.  The picture on the top right is a view from inside the stadium. The picture really doesn't do it any justice. I believe 28,000 people came to celebrate our veterans. Aidan did great during the video. I do think he started to get a little tired though, so he snuggled with his Papa for a bit. He is really interested in anything historical, which is pretty neat and if you ask him what he wants to be when he grows up, he will tell you he wants to be an "army guy."


I love this picture of my grandparents.
After the documentary there were fireworks and a flyover. We stayed until most people cleared out and then took pictures together as a family.


There were so many people that the parking lot was packed back to back with cars trying to leave so we stayed and just spent time talking after. A nice man asked if we wanted a picture taken of all of us. Here we are. I will never forget this night. I know it meant a lot to my Grandpa that we were able to do this with him but it meant a lot to us too. We will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs