Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Our fist ear infection

Having a sick kiddo is the pits. Poor Grayson has been fighting a cold for the past four weeks. As soon as the weather warms up, the boogers and cough disappear. As soon as it turns chilly again, the boogers and cough return. On Saturday I noticed that Gray had a really boogery nose again. Boogery is a word, right? He wasn't eating or sleeping like he usually does. I assumed he was congested. We ran his humidifier in his room hoping that would help. He went down for bed right around 7 but was up 3 times between 7 and 11. Then at 11:30 he woke up screaming bloody murder. It was a cry Tommy and I had never heard before. High pitched and LOUD. Like someone or something was hurting him. It didn't matter if I was holding him or if Tommy was holding him. It didn't matter if we were sitting, standing, laying down, walking or rocking. He didn't want a bottle. He didn't want anything. We couldn't figure it out. This is very uncharacteristic of him. He is usually a very happy and easy going guy. Even when upset, if you hold him he settles. Not this time though. This went on for three hours. At 2:30 in the morning we finally decided to take him in. I am a worrier and all I could think about was that something serious was wrong. What if he had a bowel obstruction? What if he was having an appendicitis? All these scary scenarios were popping in my head. Tommy stayed home with Aidan and I took Grayson to the ER.

All of you mamas out there are probably thinking to yourself why didn't I just call the pediatrician?  I know. Maybe I should have but I didn't think he would be able to help us over the phone. We got the ER and were told he has an upper respiratory infection and an ear infection. Hmmm...maybe this was the obvious diagnosis. Strangely though, I never even thought about an ear infection. Not once. Aidan never had one. EVER. And up until this point, Grayson hadn't either. I didn't know what to look for, if anything, and I certainly never even considered it as something that could be wrong. The doc looked at me and said "well, it's just an ear infection"...just an ear infection? Isn't that a GOOD thing, that this is JUST an ear infection? Was he telling me I was crazy and could have just waited until Sunday morning to take him into the walk-in clinic?  Maybe. I don't know but he sure did make me feel like a crazy person. I'm glad I took him in. I'm glad we were able to start antibiotics ASAP. I'm glad we got to the bottom of it. Either way it was certainly better than sitting at home worrying and wondering what it could be.  Sunday wasn't much better in terms of him feeling better but he has had four doses of antibiotic now, so hopefully we are on the up-swing. Here is to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Design By Designer Blogs